Friday, August 14, 2015

The Second Time is Harder, Sashimi Tuna and a Neighborhood Plug

Dear Friends of  Fantastically Fresh Fish,

Neighborhood Plug
I had lunch last weekend at 1001 Nights at the corner of Wilson Road and 141 in the shopping center with Great Harvest.  I had been there before when it had a different name and was completely unimpressed, but last weekend I found out is has new ownership and great Persian food!


The Second Time is the Hardest

I took a vacation a few weeks ago and did two things I have always wanted to do.  I visited Las Vegas and I hiked in the Grand Canyon.  What a trip!  I flew into Vegas where it took all of one evening  to realize that I do not know how to gamble.  The next day I drove to Peach Springs, AZ for a three day hike to Havasu Falls and Mooney Falls.

Jumping off cliffs is something I would NEVER have done in my youth but something I feel much more comfortable doing as an adult.  On my Grand Canyon trip, there were lots of places to jump into creeks and waterfalls and I took advantage of every one.  I discovered something interesting about taking risks:  it's way easier to make the first jump than the second.  That seems strange because, if you are standing there contemplating the second jump, you obviously survived the first!  I can only explain it this way - I'm the sort of person who loves a challenge.  If you tell me the water is deep enough and that other people jump at this place all the time, I will gather up all my nerve and with very little thought at all, I will charge up that hill, trot right to the edge and JUMP! 




The second time must be harder because I have already proven that I can do it.   I don't have all the adrenaline rush that propels me to the edge.  Nobody is paying much attention to me jumping the second time.  There is time to contemplate, "What the heck was I thinking jumping off a cliff at 52 years old?"  There is a lot more to tell about this amazing trip but since this is really a seafood blog I have to make some connection to my work. Here is the connection:

I'm jumping off a different sort of cliff for the second time with my new store in Milton. 
The opening is just two weeks away.   And I'm having all those second jump anxieties.


Things are going along perfectly. The Milton community seems very excited at the thought of a seafood market in the neighborhood.  The new space is in a gorgeous building and is coming together just like I envisioned.  It's a chance for me to do all the things I wished I had done in Johns Creek.  After all, I opened the Johns Creek with my eyes squeezed shut.  With the opening of the new store, my eyes are wide open.  My fingers are crossed but my eyes are open.

And my Johns Creek customers are stopping by to check on progress.  Here's Johns Creek customer Pam Scripture checking out my new store in Milton. 




Opening day is scheduled for August 29th.  More details next week...

A Favorite Tuna Recipe
The lovely Sherry Tennant gave us this delicious recipe for sashimi tuna.  I stood in the kitchen and ate it out of the mixing bowl.  I mean really.  I barely got it to the table. 



Sherry's Sashimi Tuna 
1 lb tuna
2 serrano peppers, seeded and very finely chopped
1 T plus 1t finely grated ginger
1T toasted sesame seeds
1 clove garlic through garlic press
½ t kosher salt
¼ c canola oil
2 t sesame oil
1 t distilled white vinegar
1 t fish sauce

Toast sesame seeds.  Either finely chop or puree in mini-chopper the peppers, ginger, garlic and salt until somewhat of a paste forms.  Add sesame seeds.  Then add both oils, fish sauce and vinegar.  Add diced tuna and mix.  Serve with crackers or toasted won ton chips.

Back to School
Here they are...another year older!  Our babies' first day back at school. 







$20.00 in free discount fish to the first person who can correctly match each child with their Kathleen's Catch parent!

Hope everyone survived that first day!  Have a great first weekend!

Blessings,

Kathleen

No comments:

Post a Comment